XIO: fatal IO error 108 (Socket operation on non-socket) on X server ":0"

I have little experience with Cygwin, since I normally do not use
Microsoft operating systems; but it is precisely for that reason that
I do install cygwin whenever I have to work on a Microsoft system --
for example, when I remove the viruses (Malwarebytes, as per a
friend's recommendation) from someone else's Windows XP laptop, which
I have been doing for the past couple of days, not because I know
anything about Windows, but because I know more than anyone else
around here.

Anyway, the viruses are all gone now, but it was a fair amount of
work, and in order to make the experience even remotely tolerable, I
installed Cygwin on this laptop, which is my reward, to myself, for
having done this fellow a favor.  But I am encountering a curious
error.  The "xinit" command creates a root window, but then after a
minute, or maybe less, the root window disappears and the command
exits with the error message, inter alia,

 XIO:  fatal IO error 108 (Socket operation on non-socket) on X server ":0"
       after 7 requests (7 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
 winClipboardproc - XOpenDisplay() returned and successfully opened the display

 waiting for X server to shut down

There is more, but you get the idea.

Since I almost never use Cygwin, I have little notion of what may be
wrong (when I have used Cygwin in the past, I never saw this error
message), but if you can diagnose this problem from where you are
sitting, or if you can give me a workaround even without diagnosing
the problem, please do me the kindness of telling me what to do.  I do
not normally read this mailing list (an understatement, I never read
this mailing list), but you may contact me using any of the means
indicated below.  Thank you in advance for any and all replies to this
inquiry.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784  landline
				(1-410)9964737  GoogleVoice
				jay@m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"