Re: Problems with emacs built against gtk3

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 18:04 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 9:09 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> > On 11/29/2011 10:51 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> >> This appears to be the same bug. The solution is to launch a DBus
> >> session bus *before* starting emacs (or any other gtk3 programs for that
> >> matter), IOW:
> >>
> >> $ eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`
> >> $ emacs-X11&
> >
> > That gets rid of the warning, but emacs still dies after a few seconds
> > (no error message, no stackdump), unless I uninstall dconf-service. I'll
> > see if I can get more information by running emacs under gdb. I'd
> > appreciate any suggestions you might have as to where I should look.
> >
> I have some further information: The problem is related to the GSettings
> backend.  If I uninstall dconf-service and start emacs, I get a warning
> that the GSettings `memory' backend will be used.  Emacs then works
> fine.  If I reinstall dconf-service but set GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory
> before starting emacs, it again works fine.  Does this provide any clue
> as to what the problem might be?

Okay, I got it.  dconf-service needs a GVfs implementation, but the
default provider (from the gvfs package) is currently only available in
Ports.  That's what I get for trying to be minimalistic wrt the distro.

Of course, my gvfs package requires Avahi[1], so it may be an
interesting ITP; I'll try to do that next week, and hopefully this
thread will help expedite the review nonetheless.

In the meantime, try setting the GIO_USE_VFS environment variable to
"local"[2], which will allow dconf-service to work despite the lack of
gvfs.  (Why this isn't done automatically as a fallback, I have no
idea.)

Yaakov
Cygwin/X

[1]