Re: XWin.exe causes Windows apps. to freeze

On 21/11/2011 12:14 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
I have a persistent problem at work after XWin has been running for a
while (sometimes hours, sometimes days).  Windows programs will
spontaneously freeze
For example,
I'm composing a message in Outlook, and all of a sudden, my keyboard
stops responding, then I'll get the Windows hourglass in that window.
Or I'll be surfing in Firefox and window changes just stop, again
hourglass.  Once this happens, killing XWin.exe from the task manager
immediately releases the hang condition(s), though the hang may
release itself if I wait several minutes (yeah, right).  At this
point, I can re-start XWin, but later on, it will happen again.

I'm starting XWin.exe from the install shortcut:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

I'm running the latest of Cygwin everything, the problem has been
across several (many) releases of the Xorg server.  I think it's using
the default options for multi-monitor, cut/paste, etc.  I can usually
copy/paste between XWin and MS Windows (and usually Citrix) without
any problems.  I keep thinking that the problem is something in the
XWin code that interfaces to Windows' copy/paste engine (OLE?).
If you think it's clipboard related, try running with -noclipboard and see if that fixes it. Downside is, you lose all clipboard functionality...

BTW, what do you use x11 for? Other than the odd gnuplot session, I've not needed an X server since switching from xterm to mintty (which just became the official cygwin terminal). If a similar situation applies to you, you could temporarily switch to mintty while doing the above experiment and still be able to use clipboard in the meantime.

Finally, I've never used a multi-monitor setup myself, but according to the XWin man page you should specify the -multimonitors option since you apparently (really??) don't run in -multiwindow mode. Or maybe the man page is just out of date and -multiwindow is the default now, in which case multiple monitor support comes for free.

Ryan