Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xorg-server-1.10.3-1

Jon TURNEY wrote:

On 20/07/2011 03:25, Linda Walsh wrote:
Jon TURNEY wrote:

The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:

*** xorg-server-1.10.3-1
*** xorg-server-dmx-1.10.3-1
----
    How can I install 'just' those packages (from the command
line)....

This is not currently possible from the command line, setup will always upgrade all packages to the current version even when some packages to install are explicitly specified.

Ideally, setup wouldn't violate the principle of least surprise like that.

---
But I thought that's the way some of the Cygwin staff liked it?
(principle of most surprise! ;-) ). It is sorta broken, since the docs claim to allow you to specify a package name to install on the cmd line.

That it 'includes, automatically, all packages with updates is a real nasty
gotcha...

However, I think there is a way to do it via the GUI without thousands of clicks.

1) Start setup as usual
2) On the "Select packages" page, click on the 'Keep' radio button
3) Locate the packages you wish to update and select the version to update to

---- AWESOME! Never noticed Keep as a global button there...

the cmd line 'setup' claims to allow you to install, one package, but
then it went through the whole gui process and still had all the other
default packages installed!....

If you don't want to have to interact with the GUI, you have to use the -q command line option for unattended mode.

---
Well.. I sometimes don't -- especially when wanting to do a single package update by name, thing is, would I end up with a similar problem with
all packages being selected by default (or all that have updates)? or is the 'q' mode better about doing what the docs claim? -- i.e. allowing installing one package on the cmd line?

Many thanks! for the keep-global alone!!

linda