Re: complains about the cygwin/gcc binaries

Marco Atzeri wrote:
In the gcc-3 era the C++ timing performance were really poor, gcc-4
solved a lot such problem.
I guess the situation is improved in the meantime but of course cygwin
is slower than an equivalent
native build as he try to replicate the UNIX/Posix enviroment in an
unfriendly MS-Windows word.

My experience porting octave says that gcc-4 is much better but I have
no idea of ROOT needs.

I follow the development of ROOT under Cygwin since ROOT-3, and there wasn't really big problems: each time, when prompted, they was always fixed by ROOT people.

The performances of ROOT under Cygwin are good enough (at least with by builds with gcc4 compilers). Obviously Cygwin isn't a native GNU/Linux and often the performances are influenced by AV security applications..

Ciao,
Angelo.