Re: complains about the cygwin/gcc binaries

On 1/27/2011 2:36 PM, wxie wrote:
In the ROOT downloading website:
http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/production-version-528
It says:
"Note that the performance of cygwin/gcc binaries is currently very poor; we
only pro vide this build as an unsupported toy. We strongly recommend to use
the version above compiled with VC++. The ROOT team will not answer any
messages related to problems with the win32gcc version"
What's the reason of the poor performance. Is there any way to improve that?

If you're posting something about Cygwin's gcc or Cygwin in general, the better list is cygwin at cygwin dot com. As for the statement above, I think you're better off asking the folks that are responsible for making the statement. There's obviously some overhead to the emulated environment that Cygwin provides but I can't say whether the statement is a general reference to this issue or to something more specific.

--
Larry