Re: gvim tiny font in 1.7.7

On 22/09/2010 16:34, David T-G wrote:
Hi, all --

[Let's see if I can provide all of the details the first time instead of
having to go back and forth just for foundation... :-]

Can you attach your /var/log/XWin.0.log, please?

I have used Cygwin for years and have been using the cygwin gvim (versus
the Windows-native vim + gvim) for some time now.  I had occasion to do a
fresh install of 1.7.7 on a freshly-rebuilt laptop after a hard drive
crash and so I don't think that I have any of the upgrade gotchas biting
me, but stranger things have happened :-)

When I first started gvim after my install, the font was invisibly tiny
both for the content and for the menus.  [Note that both xterm and rxvt-X
are fine.]  Using another computer to see where I was going and matching
the keystrokes I attempted to set the font to "Lucida Console 12" but
found no change.  I have manually (a bummer, but I gather from the FAQs
that the lack of dependency linking is temporary) added the font-bh-dpi75
and font-bh-lucidatypewriter-dpi75 packages with no effect.  I have set
the guifont variable in my .vimrc file, and the tiny window was somewhat
differently sized but still tiny.  Finally, I have of course googled for
"cygwin +gvim +font (size or tiny)" and similar to see what others have
found, but I haven't matched anything more useful than the guifont
setting.

What do I need to fix and where to make my gvim readable?

-- Jon TURNEY Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer