RE: GNOME on cygwin

Raul Acevedo wrote:
>My real question is what is the point of these packages, if GNOME is
not
>actually in them.  It's a bit confusing and I wasted a chunk of time
trying to
>install GNOME through Cygwin only to find out it's not possible.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Raul
>
>On Aug 4, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:43:11PM -0700, Raul Acevedo wrote:
>>> So why are there GNOME packages in Cygwin?  What is actually in
them?

>> http://cygwin.com/packages/

Raul, please stop replying above quoted text.  I believe you are asked
that when you sign up for the mail list (no?), but Larry Hall's
signature says that, in a humorous way:
A: Yes.
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Here is my answer to your question.  Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure I'm
right, I don't _know_ I'm right.

Some nice programs that rely on pieces of Gnome are installable with
Cygwin.  Since they require bits and pieces of Gnome those pieces get
installed.

Example.

When I run setup.exe and select Lilypond (for printing sheet music) 3
additional items get automatically selected on my system. If I deselect
them I get "Warning! Unmet Dependencies Found" and it says I need glib,
gtk+, and qt3.  Apparently I already have gtk-engines from some other
program.  I suspect there is a programmer/musician out there who ported
it.

By the way, I believe I understand Larry's answer.  He was telling you,
essentially, that Cygwin is not a way to get Gnome installed, rather, a
way to run specific Unix-like programs on a Windows PC.  You don't get
gnome-terminal because no one has ported it.

Understanding this, I checked the Cygwin/X FAQ.  I saw "10.1. Is there a
list of software that has been ported to Cygwin/X?"  It struck me that
might lead to something useful, which it does, it says "The CygGnome
project aims to port Gnome to Cygwin/X."
<http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/>

So essentially, you were confused because the Gnome section implied you
could get full-on Gnome.  Why is there that section?  Beats me.

Brian <-= I'm just glad I can get X Windows from my servers