RE: startxwin/XWin won't start properly

> In the past I have not found a good way to "remember" which packages where
> installed (e.g. non-default packages).  Is there a file/way to run setup.exe
> so that a specified set of packages are installed?

OK, I removed my old cygwin installation (the directory which contains /usr, /bin/, etc.), and re-installed a new version.  I kept the "cygwin_package" directory, but setup.exe did not remember my previous installation.  In the past I have had to install cygwin on multiple machines, and it would be nice to learn a way to have a file which describes the packages I want to install, rather than having to recall them all.

> Actually, that's not what I meant at all.  Your cygcheck output showed that
> you had, at one time, installed Cygwin to C:\cygwin and C:\cygwin\cygdrive,
> both of which are now "ORPHANED", meaning that at least some (could be all)
> of the installation is now missing.  You should make sure that the entire
> installation has been deleted in both places.

I did remove the orphaned directires, but it did not help.  The good news is a complete re-install of cygwin does work, so I am (almost) up and running :-)

Thanks,
-Mike