Re: (strange) problem with xdotool

On 14/10/2009 17:45, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
Hello all,
I have compiled, after some modifications to Makefile,  xdotool to
work in cygwin environment
but I get following on attempt to activate window (window in question
is xedit and I run in rootless, i.e. without any particular window
manager, environment)
xdotool windowactiviate 16777265

This is not so strange a problem when you know that thinking you are running "without any particular window manager" is wrong.

When running rootless in -multiwindow mode, the X server starts an integrated WM, which effectively acts as a proxy for the native Windows WM.

This integrated WM does not support _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW

Your windowmanager claims not to support _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, so the
attempt to activate the window was aborted.
xdo_window_activate reported an error

Any clues about why _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW is not supported and what one
should do about it?

:-)

Ideally, write a patch to add _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW support to the integrated WM. That should be fairly straightforward as all it would need to do it register the property on the root window and update it, and handle the receiving the message and translate it to a WM_ACTIVATE for the target window)

(for bonus points, look for other EWMH hints it is useful for the integrated WM to implement)

Your other option is run X in rooted mode, with a WM which supports _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.