RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: xinit-1.1.1-5

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>
>> In 'startxwin.bat' I see:
>>
>> %RUN% bash -l -c "XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error"
>>
>> Shouldn't it be
>>
>> %RUN% bash -l -c "XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error &" ?
>
> No, "run" implicitly puts the target in the background, unless you add
> the '-w' (wait) option.

I think Angelo was trying to avoid having an unnecessary bash process
hanging around.  Bash is only used to prepare the environment, so why
not do it like this instead:

%RUN% bash -l -c "exec XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error"

i.e. the bash process is replaced by XWin rather than spawning a new
process, putting it in the background, then exiting.  Under *IX, this
is usually more efficient than Angelo's method, but I don't know if
this is true under cygwin, given the complexity of getting exec/fork
etc. to work under Windows.

Phil
--

This email has been scanned by Ascribe Ltd using Microsoft Antigen for Exchange.