Re: Emacs-GTK hangs with dialog boxes

Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
For completeness, I want to flag that my GTK build of Emacs has the same problem described here: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-09/msg00051.html.

Practically, after starting Emacs,

$ G_SLICE=always-malloc emacs -q &

its first three icons on tool-bar (new file, read existing file, read directory) do not work. Emacs hangs for 20-30 seconds, and at prompt it writes:

$ Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-graziosi/fam-
(emacs:3556): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=3

Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-graziosi/fam-
(emacs:3556): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=3

(emacs:3556): Gtk-WARNING **: Impossibile trovare il tipo di monitor predefinito per directory locali

(emacs:3556): Gtk-WARNING **: Impossibile trovare il tipo di monitor predefinito per directory locali

I think that the problem happens after a recent (one or two weeks) upgrading of gtk | glib | GNOME libraries, when Emacs showed new icons.

Just for completeness I want to report other details.

I have tried the test case in (*), more precisely this:

$ gcc -DTRY1 -Wall -o test-dialog3-try1 test-dialog3.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`

$ ./test-dialog3-try1
Using gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new.
Done.
Please make sure the FAM daemon is not running before testing again.
(i.e. kill the gam_server process or wait until it is gone)

Now, as you can see, it says "...kill the gam_server process or wait until it is gone". Indeed 'ps' shows that gam_server process is still there and remains for about 30 seconds.

Now this hasn't a great impact with the test case because it, really, does not open a new window on the PC screen.

With Emacs (GTK build) the things are a little different.

When one opens a dialog, for example, to load a file to edit, the 'gam_server' starts running; it remains running even after closing the dialog (and this seems to be expected).

However, when one decides to quit from Emacs, the 'emacs' process is removed, as shows 'ps', but the Emacs window remains on the screen until gam_server is gone, i.e. after about 30 second. This, at first sight, seems that Emacs is hanging.

Is this behavior to be expected? It looks strange to me... On GNU/Linux, with a similar GTK build of Emacs I do not see this behavior.

Cheers, Angelo.

---
(*) http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-09/msg00051.html