Re: Fatal Error -Cannot establish listening sockets - when starting X server using startx

On 14/08/2009 08:38, rk ka wrote:
I installed Cygwin/X with the latest setup.exe.

When i run startx I get a fatal error. Please check the attached Xwin
log for details. There is no other instance of X server running. I've
also included the output of cygcheck -s -v -r in cygcheck.out.

Try something like 'netstat -a -b -n | grep -A2 ":6000"' which should identify any process which is already bound to the socket which the X server wants to use.

You should also read your cygcheck output, which includes:

"Potential app conflicts:

ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall
Detected: HKLM Registry Key, Named file."

So you should also consider the possibilities that this is either configured to cause the X server to fail this way, or it causing random failures [2]

Please can someone tell me how I can fix this? I could not find
analogous issues in the mailing list for this.

I wonder why you did not find [1]

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-05/msg00008.html
[2] http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

--