Re: xterm utf8 cyrillic

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009, KMiller wrote:

I'm trying to set up xterm to handle output from mysql queries that contains cyrillic. I had success when I 1) did not specify a font in .Xdefaults 2) selected UTF-8 under VT FONTS

Under those conditions, the cyrillic characters print and all is good.

But, no matter what I do in .xDefaults, I can not enable xterm to duplicate
that behaviour by default.  I always have to manually do the above steps.

Any ideas/advice on making this the default?

well... (not having that particular configuration at hand, but able to explain): selecting UTF-8 under the VT Fonts tells xterm to do two things:

	a) switch the character-encoding from ISO-8859-1 (or whatever)
	   to UTF-8, which corresponds to the utf8 resource setting.

	b) select the font from (unless overridden) the utf8Fonts
	   resources.  Having a resource like "*font:fixed" would
	   override that, due to the wildcard.

So it might be as simple as setting the utf8 resource in .Xdefaults:

*utf8: 2

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net