Re: trouble with fonts

On 22/07/2009 19:30, Bert Thomas wrote:
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-where-are-my-fonts

I suspect that installing some fonts might solve your problem.

Now I installed pretty much every font the cygwin setup shows, but same result.

Fonts of certain programs (QT) appear as square blocks.

The programs are running on a remote machine over a putty x11 tunnel.
The "eagle" program you see in the background runs on another remote
machine over another putty tunnel. That program behaves as expected.

Hmm, yes. It looks like that is using the server-side built-in font successfully, whereas the Qt applications would be using client-side fonts.

> I don't know quite why this isn't working correctly. I wonder if the > character encodings aren't installed unless non-built in fonts are > installed, and if that might cause this...

Actually, on actually doing some testing, this idea is wrong. I am able to run kdevelop from a remote Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) host via a ssh tunnel, displaying on the Cygwin/X server with no fonts installed and everything works fine.

When you start kdevelop or another problematic application from the remote shell, are there any warnings output?

client side is remote side, right? Is there a way to convince the apps
on the remote side to use the fonts on the server?

Can you be a bit more specific about the nature of the remote host with applications which have this problem? Have you seen the applications render their fonts correctly on other remote X servers?