Re: Windows 7 RC1 and Cygwin 1.7

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On May 15 23:18, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 01:22:23PM -0700, Mike Ayers wrote:
>> >P.S. ?That was speculation. ?Hopefully someone will have a real answer
>> >soon.
>>
>> This was already discussed in the main cygwin list. ?There is a
>> workaround in the latest version of Cygwin 1.7.x.
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00477.html
>
> That's not a workaround for the problem with consoles popping up, but a
> workaround for a W7 x64 specific problem. ?There's a bug in the W7 x64
> console code (which appears to be mostly rewritten in W7 anyway) which
> breaks DLL initialization in child processes which have no copy of the
> original console handles from console startup anymore. ?This bug has been
> reported upstream and is marked as being resolved, which hopefully
> means it will be fixed in the final W7 release.
>
> As for the console windows popping up, thats a generic bug in the new
> console code in W7, affecting 32 and 64 bit versions. ?For some reason
> the AllocConsole call does not honor the fact that the application
> switched to another active WindowStation. ?Thus, console windows which
> are meant to be hidden in another, hidden WindowStation, are wrongly
> created on the desktop of the original, visible WindowStation.
>
> I reported this bug upstream as well, but unfortunately I got the reply
> that this bug won't be fixed in this Windows release. ?I'm still trying
> to convince Microsoft that this is a serious problem, though.

Corinna,

Do you have a link to a bug report on Connect?  I'll upvote it.

And should I download the latest release in order to validate this, or
are there testing builds?  I haven't installed Cygwin on my 64-bit
Win7RC box yet but I need to, can't use any computer long without an
ssh client.

Are there any other bugs you'd like validated and upvoted?  I'm not
exactly sure how to reproduce that issue you found with the cost to
access directories on NTFS increasing exponentially with nesting
level.... well repro might not be hard but pinpointing MS-provided
code as the problem vs antivirus or just about anything else might not
be the easiest thing.  This new AllocConsole window station thing
seems a lot more straightforward.

After all, what's MVP status good for if not telling 'em they broke
valuable cygwin stuff.

Ben Voigt
(http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Voigt)