Re: X server fails to start on Vista

Kim Goldov wrote:
"Run as Administrator" did not make a difference. The "X" icon does not
appear hidden or otherwise, no terminal pops up (as it does on my XP
machine), and no process shows in the task manager.

The bash shell works fine.

The /var/log/XWin.0.log file appears as noted earlier.

You're not running a different X server as well, are you?

Check the output of "netstat -p" for lines of the form "TCP <yourcomputername>:6000" ?

Does "/usr/bin/XWin :1 -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error" fail in the same way?

Kim

Also be sure to start the X server with the "Run as Administrator"
option. Ditto for the Cygwin bash shell.

Scott

Paul Loewenstein wrote:
And make sure the icon isn't hidden (I set Vista to always show the X Windows icon).

Paul

Kim Goldov wrote:
I downloaded Cygwin-X per the instructions in
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup-cygwin-x-installing.html

When selecting "Cygwin-X -> XWin Server" in the start menu, X does not
start and I get the following /var/log/XWin.0.log ...

/usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running