RE: "-query" not working on cygwin/windows

km4hr wrote:
> This is a update including further information regarding my quest to
> get cygwin/x to connect to my CentOS linux server via xdmcp.
>
> I believe I have isolated the problem to either cygwin/x or Windows,
> probably Windows because no X-server that I've tried works. I've tried
> cygwin/x, Xming, and X-Win32. I've isolated the problem by booting my
> Windows PC from a Linux LiveCD (pclos). Using the pclos X-server I
> successfully connected to my CentOS host using "X :1 -query <centos
> box>" .
> It works perfectly. A beautiful gdm login screen pops up immediately.
> think this proves that xdmcp is configured correctly on the CentOS
host
> and that my network is not contributing to the problem.

OK.  So the problem seems to be that X cannot communicate with the
remote
host.  Do you have another host you could connect to, and if so do you
have the same problem?  You could try "telnet remotehost 6000".  If you
can connect, then the X port (6000) is open, and the problem is protocol
related.  If you get "connection refused", then the port is closed.

> The above successful connection seems to isolate the problem to either
> cygwin/x, Windows, or the combination of both. Although no one on this
> site has confirmed that they are actually using cygwin/x successfully
> in an xdmcp environment I'm assuming that it does work for somebody.

I have used it successfully, but that was a few years ago.

> If that assumption is correct then it appears something in my Windows
> configuration is blocking cygwin/x, and the other X-servers, from
> working properly. Could it be that necessary ports on my Windows box
> are blocked? I have my Windows firewall turned off. But I'm not sure
> that disabling the firewall opens the ports. Do I even need to open
> certain ports on the Windows box? This is an area that I know
virtually
> nothing about.

Do you have any other security software installed?  Perhaps you have
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA  These are applications/drivers (often
apparently nothing to do with the problem, e.g. Logitech Webcam), that
inject their code into each process and cause all sorts of weird
problems.

> Phil, you had several questions. One was, "why do you want to use
> xdmcp?". I want to use xdmcp for the same reason anyone wants to use
it
> and for the same reason that it exists. That is, I want to log in to a
> complete gnome environment. I don't want to run individual
> applications.

That's fine.  I only asked because there have been several queries over
the years from people who did just want to display individual apps and
thought XDMCP was the way to go because it showed up first in a web
search.

> You suggested I contact someone who is familiar with my Linux
> distribution to make sure I have xdmcp set up correctly. I have
already
> done that. I am asking many of the same questions on the CentOS forum
> that I'm asking here. You gave me several links to study. I've read
> those and more. I've been at this for days.

That's good (the researching, not the outcome ;-).  As with any fault
finding, a lot of time can be saved if we know what has already been
read/tried.

> You asked why I'm "blaming cygwin". I don't know what I said that
> made you think that.

It was partly your other thread about the -ac option which suggested
that
you though XWin was denying the access.

> I'm not blaming anybody or anything. I'm just trying to get a gdm
login
> screen on my PC.

I understand.  Perhaps "blaming" was too loaded a word to use.

> My problem may be related to Windows security.
> Can you suggest a good forum where I can find an expert on that? I
> don't know any Windows experts personally. I'm not sure they exist.

They do exist, but they come at a price.  Most of the self-professed
experts I see on the web are pretty poor.

I think investigating the BLODA avenue is perhaps your best course of
action for now.  It's amazing how many of the seemingly intractable
problems turn out to be caused by some dodgy app.

Phil
--

This email has been scanned by Ascribe PLC using Microsoft Antigen for Exchange.