tooltips not working for gnome-pannel or metacity window manager

Hi,
	A day after upgrading to the new Cygwin/X with the X.Org 7.4 server, I
have noticed that the tool-tips for the window manager buttons behave
erratically, just flashing 2 times per second. And the tool-tips for the
top Gnome panel do not appear at all.

I have the following configuration:
  A Windows/XP SP3 host with Cygwin, updated yesterday (2008-11-29).
  A Debian Linux machine where I run the Gnome desktop.
    This is now displayed using the new Cygwin XWin server.

Using its local display, the Linux/Gnome system behaves correctly, when
I point to a 'close' button then and after half a second, the tool-tip
with "Close Window" appears and stays on the screen for about 4 seconds.
This is used with Debian Linux:
  xserver-xorg-core           2:1.4.2-9
  xserver-xorg-video-nv       1:2.1.10-1

On the remote display, connected to the Windows machine running Cygwin/X
7.4, the tool-tip flashes 2 times per second when I point at a Gnome
close button, and flashing does not stop after 4 seconds. When I point
at a launcher in the top Gnome panel, there is no tool-tip at all.
In the bottom panel, there is sometimes a tool-tip when I point a a
"system monitor" graph.

Since the major difference between these situations is the X server,
I suspect a problem in Cygwin/X.

The output from 'cygcheck -s -v -r' and the XWin.2.log file are
attached.

Thanks for Cygwin/X.

Regards,
	Matthijs Melchior.

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.5.3.0 (10503000)

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

XWin :2 -clipboard -nodecoration -dpi 100

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1600 h 1200
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
winPrefsLoadPreferences: /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
(--) 16 mouse buttons found
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (USA)" (409), type "4"
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winInitClipboard ()
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:2.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.