Re: X, backingstore and opengl

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
Regarding the problems I have flagged in [1], the first (related to the option +bs of XWin, i.e. the backing store) is still there, also with the recent xorg-server-1.5.3-4.

I'm a little bit confused what problems remain, so I'll tell you my results and you can tell me if you agree

hsimple.C test

1.5.3-3 +bs    server segfault
1.5.3-4 +bs    ok (redrawing of area under menus is messed up)
1.5.3-4        ok

geom/shapes.C test

1.5.3-3 +bs    root segfault
1.5.3-4 +bs    root segfault
1.5.3-4        root segfault
fixed by adding XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS

For the second (that related to OpenGL applications), I have found the workaround described here [2].

Now, if

nedit needs rebuilding with a patch to work around an issue in lesstif with
the latest X server.

how can I do the same for ROOT? Which is that patch? or what else?

If you follow the chain of emails back, they lead to

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-x86/app-editors/nedit/files/nedit-5.5-argbvisuals.patch

I'm not 100% convinced this is the core issue there, you might like to ask the ROOT developers if it can handle the server reporting visuals with alpha