Help with startxwin.bat (I did read the FAQ)

Hi,

I suddenly began getting the error message:

A fatal error has occured and Cygwin/X will now exit. Please open
/tmp/XWin.log for more information. The trailing part of /tmp/XWin.log
mentions the following:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

Looks like this problem has already been mentioned in the following FAQ:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof

Unfortunately, following the procedure outlined there didn't seem to
help. I tried:

1. $ mount
C:\Programs\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\Programs\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\Programs\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /c type system (binmode)

2. $ umount /usr/share/fonts/
umount: /usr/share/fonts/: No such file or directory

2. Reinstalling all the font-* packages by running setup.exe. Just to
be on the safe side, I re-installed everything in the X11 category
which was marked as "Keep".

Even after following all these steps, startxwin.bat still reports the
same error. One strange thing I noticed is that the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
directory does not contain a fonts/ subdirectory. Is that normal? If
not, how do I recreate it?

Elsewhere, I read that anti-virus softwares, firewall etc end up
messing things. So I disabled Symantec Client Firewall and Norton Anti
Virus. Still the same story. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Srinath