Re: Bad XTerm Vim coloring

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Nick Deubert wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone,
>> First off thanks for your hard work on cygwin/X it is very
>> appreciated. I upgraded to the new Xorg last week and I have had one
>> really annoying issue ever since. Something about the new XTerm is
>> messing up vim syntax coloring. With vim I have syntax on and
>> background=dark and usually the coloring look like this:
>> http://nd.dyndns.org:443/downloads/correct_coloring.PNG but now when I
>> open a file in vim it looks like that for a split second then a ton of
>> gibberish quickly scrolls in the right side of the vim ruler and when
>> it stops my syntax is colors are all messed up and are colored like
>> this: http://nd.dyndns.org:443/downloads/bad_coloring.PNG
>>
>> Now I think this is a problem with XTerm not vim because when I ssh
>
> I can't tell - but you can capture the output of vim using 'script' and
> we can inspect the output of vim, to see if it is well-formed.

I attached a vim.out(or you can get it here if you don't like
attachments: http://nd.dyndns.org:443/downloads/vim.out) which is what
script outputted for this small test.c file:
int main() {
   char* blah = "blah\n";
   return 0;
}

> (While it's possible that cygwin's xterm is configured with different
> options than on some other system, xterm should ignore - not echo -
> well-formed control sequences that it doesn't understand).
>
> vim may talk to xterm to find what the function-keys send (I added a few
> new keys in the last version or so, but vim "shouldn't" be confused by
> that...).  Seeing exactly what was written to the xterm would give some
> clues - along with finding what configure options were used to build
> the cygwin package for xterm.

I'm not sure how to see the configure options for xterm. It is the
binary package 237-2 installed from mirrors.kernel.org.

Just in case it means anything here is the vim configure options:
:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Oct  9 2008 15:23:22)
Compiled by corinna@cathi
Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
+cindent -clientserver
-clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
+cryptv +cscope +cursorshape
+dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra
+extra_search +farsi
+file_in_path +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext
-hangul_input +iconv
+insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak
+lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
 +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
-mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm
-mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
-netbeans_intg -osfiletype
+path_extra -perl +postscript +printer +profile -python +quickfix
+reltime +rightleft -ruby
+scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop
+syntax +tag_binary
+tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
+textobjects +title -toolbar
+user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
+vreplace +wildignore
+wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
-xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2
Linking: gcc   -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe       -lm -lncurses  -liconv -lintl