Bad XTerm Vim coloring

Hey everyone,
First off thanks for your hard work on cygwin/X it is very
appreciated. I upgraded to the new Xorg last week and I have had one
really annoying issue ever since. Something about the new XTerm is
messing up vim syntax coloring. With vim I have syntax on and
background=dark and usually the coloring look like this:
http://nd.dyndns.org:443/downloads/correct_coloring.PNG but now when I
open a file in vim it looks like that for a split second then a ton of
gibberish quickly scrolls in the right side of the vim ruler and when
it stops my syntax is colors are all messed up and are colored like
this: http://nd.dyndns.org:443/downloads/bad_coloring.PNG

Now I think this is a problem with XTerm not vim because when I ssh
into other machines and run vim there, with different configuration
files, the same thing happens. Also if I remove my .vimrc and start
vim, and manually do :syntax on and :set background=dark it seems
fine. It seems like there could be something going on with the inital
opening of vim and it talking to the xterm that is going weird. Also
there was one time where I cleared $TERMCAP and opened it and
everything looked fine, but it doesn't seem to do that anymore. I
examined the old and new app-defaults files but they seem to be nearly
identical. I've been upgrading everyday since then hoping there might
be a fix but so far nothing works. Please help, any ideas?
Thanks,
Nick