Re: GLX on XWin (was Re: X server 1.5.3-2 candidate)

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 07:12:42PM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have a linux box to experiment with... :-(
There's always http://www.virtualbox.org/ if you want to get a virtual
linux system.

Thanks! I setup up VirtualBox, installed Ubuntu 8.10 and set up openssh-server in the VM, and configured the VirtualBox NAT port forwarding per the user manual.

I then logged in with ssh -Y two different times, once from a VT running
in a XWin with GLX enabled, and then from a VT in another XWin with GLX
manually disabled (-extension GLX).  With XWin GLX enabled, glxinfo
showed all the correct information, and glxgears worked, albeit
*extremely* slowly.  With XWin GLX disabled, of course neither worked,
giving Xlib errors that GLX extension was not available.  Other X11
programs worked in both cases, but interestingly the Ubuntu GTK+ engine
was used only on the server with GLX enabled.

So now I'm somewhat reassured that I did the right thing with GLX,
although I certainly remain open to further discussion if anyone is
having different results, or if there is insight into the speed issue.

Curiouser and curiouser.

ssh-ing to an Ubuntu 8.10 VM, I am able to reproduce your results:

$ glxinfo | grep -E "version|vendor|rendering"
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.10

and glxgears works fine.

(surely direct rendering: Yes can't be right here?)

ssh-ing to an Ubuntu 8.04 VM I happen to have lying around...

$ glxinfo | grep -E "version|vendor|rendering"
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string:
OpenGL version string:

(this is with my patch from [1] applied, otherwise it the server segfaults trying to read the OpenGL version string, which is occurring because the _glapi_Dispatch points to glapi_noop_table, ie. we have no GL context!)

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2008-11/msg00279.html