Re: No Cygwin-X shortcut on fresh install

Anonymous bin ich wrote:
Hi!

I have just installed Cygwin. I selected "gvim", "xorg-server" and
"rxvt-unicode-X" for packages.

After finishing the installation, I could not start X server from
"starx" etc. I could, though start X.exe.

Documentation says I should have "Cygwin-X" shortcut on the desktop. I
have reinstalled everything but I there is not shortcut.

Am I missing something? Something that needs to be installed?

You need to install the 'xinit' package to get startx.

I shall fix the documentation to make this clearer.

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> One unrelated point: whilst reviewing the installation instructions I noticed
>> that at the moment, xorg-server does not require xinit, so someone making a
>> new installation (as oppposed to upgrading an existing one) may end up
>> with no obvious means of starting the server after installing it?
>
> It is possible to start XWin directly from console without xinit.  OTOH,
> xinit depends on xorg-server, for obvious reasons, and there's really no
> need to introduce a circular dependency here.

Yaakov,

Perhaps we need an xorg-base package or something to pull in xorg-server and xinit on a fresh install ?