RE: Upgrade woes.

Chuck wrote:
>I think the frustration on some people's behalf is that this question
>has been asked (and answered) maybe 50 times already on the list.

Perhaps because people can't find the info. they need in any other way than posting to this list?

I know that I only happened on this list during the past two days because I was a "regular updater" and all of a sudden things just didn't work any more after upgrading.  I looked through the FAQ & announcements & didn't see anything that would help me through problems/hiccups with the upgrade... so I joined the list.

And I still can't /quite/ get everything that I need working...

app-image-san-004:image
undefined control
XView warning: Cannot load font set '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
XView warning: Unable to open default font set
XView error: Cannot open connection to window server: app-image-san-004:10.0 (Server package)
app-image-san-004:

I'm certain that this is an xset snafu (scripts to invoke mission critical applications at my company expect to see fonts in certain directories on the X server).  Symlinks need updating I suppose, and I have to do the mkfontdir shuffle as well on all of my non-cygwin supplied font directories (that got moved)...

Sigh...

Can someone here provide a link to documentation that we can turn to in a FAQ form to help us proactively identify and fix commonly encountered problems with the update?  I'm looking for something like a "HOWTO migrate."  If such doesn't exist, I suppose that I can help cook something up from my own experiences...

Thanks,

Michael

PS -- Yaakov & Jon, thanks for all the help & thanks for stepping up and working on Cygwin/X.  I know that once the initial pain is over that this will be great for everyone.  It's going to be nice to be on a more current X.