XWin won't respond to keyboard

I've been using cygwin for a while now; but after a recent set of updates, Xwin won't respond to anything from the keyboard (though other cygwin utilities work like xterm/rxvt respond properly).
The attached setup.log_20081113 is an extract from /var/log/setup.log when I ran the updates.
I ran the setup utility twice: the first time it stalled downloading libGLU1, so I closed out of it and reran.  Everything worked fine before the updates, but now no response from the keyboard.

I've tried running XWin.exe in various modes (rootless, multiwindow, multiplemonitors) with and without 3rd party window managers (twm, window maker, fluxbox built from source), and while it runs ok and responds the mouse properly, it doesn't respond to anything typed from the keyboard (I type stuff into an xterm window and nothing shows up, no keyboard shortcuts work or anything).

I have since tried reinstalling everything (rebooting windows after reinstalling), but with the same results.