Re: Fixing problems with new X11

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:49:20PM -0500, Chuck wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Chuck wrote:
> >
> >> Second, I want to get rid of the toolbar/menu at the top of every xterm.
> >> What config file change to I need to make to get rid of it permanently.
> >> I don't want to have to specify +tb every time I run an xterm. I tried
> >> adding "xterm*toolbar: false" to my ~/.XDefaults files but that didn't
> >> work.
> >
> > I'd use the classname (XTerm) rather than the application name (xterm).
> >
> > Also, it's possible that the packager set a corresponding resource
> > someplace (or there's some session resources interfering with the
> > .XDefaults).  "appres XTerm" would show some of that...
> >

> What exactly am I looking for in the "appres XTerm" output? And what
> file am I changing to get rid of the toolbar/menu if I find something?
> Below is the output. Thanks.

The appres doesn't show any problems (I was curious if there was some
use of the toolBar/ToolBar resource).

"xrdb -query -all" would show other resources that might conflict.

I generally don't use xrdb, but it's common to use it to (attempt to)
force consistent use of resources.  That can interfere with the use of
resource-files, by pre-setting resource values.

Instead, I generally set XAPPLRESDIR to point to my own directory of
app-defaults files, which can be customized without tinkering with the
system's files.

If you set an xterm-resource in your .Xdefaults file, and appres doesn't
show it, then something's interfering -

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
http://invisible-island.net