RE: Regarding installation of X11 server in my Laptop with Windows Vista home basic OS

mallikarjun reddy wrote on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:02 PM::

> Dear Sir,
>               I,G Mallikarjun Reddy, am a student of B.Tech final year
> studying in National Institute of Technology,Warangal.I want to
> install Magic VLSI design tool in my Laptop which has Windows Vista
> Home Basic as its Operating System.So I installed Cygwin by following
> the instructions as given in the following site
>                       http://opencircuitdesign.com/cygwin/tcltk.html
> But I couldn't get X11 server installed though I followed the steps
> perfectly. Please give me a solution regarding this.
>
>                     Thanking you,in anticipation.
> Yours faithfully,
> Mallikarjun

You haven't given us anywhere near enough information to let us work
out what your problem is.

What follows is a general procedure to follow to get X working.

If you installed cygwin with DOS line endings, you would be better off
cutting your losses and uninstall cygwin.  Then start again using UNIX
line endings.  DOS line endings just cause more trouble than they are
worth, and there is no good reason to use them. (The option is being
removed from setup for cygwin 1.7)

Next, read these links (even if X is now working):

If you still have a problem, check /tmp/XWin.log for errors.

If you're still no wiser, try searching the mailing list archive:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/

In particular, search the archives for references to any error
messages you see in /tmp/XWin.log.  If XWin aborted, the error message
related to this will usually be near the end of the file, so it's best
to work backwards through the file.

You might be suffering from http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA
If you have any of the software on the list, it's important to try
uninstalling it.  Just "disabling" it is unlikely to be enough to stop
such badly written software from interfering.

Finally, if you're still stuck, you need to follow the instructions
here:

In particular, *attach* the output from running "cygcheck -svr".
For X related problems, you should also attach /tmp/XWin.log.

Phil
--
This email has been scanned by Ascribe PLC using Microsoft Antigen for Exchange.