RE: Trapping clicks on Cygwin/X Server icon

phiroc wrote on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:45 PM::

> is there a way to trap clicks on the Cygwin/X Server icon in the
> System Tray or on the Exit Button in the dialog that appears?

I don't know of a way to trap the exit, but...

> I would like cygwin to run a script before shutting down.

You could try adding a menu item (to the menu that appears when you
right click on the X icon) to provide your own exit method.  This is
done using the $HOME/.XWinrc file.

If you don't already have a file ~/.Xwinrc, you can get a basic one
from http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/devel/server/example.XWinrc

Place it in your $HOME directory, and rename it to .XWinrc

You could then change the root menu to something like this:

menu root {
// Comments fit here, too...
	"Reload .XWinrc"	RELOAD
	"Kill XWin" exec "my_script ; kill $PPID"
	"Applications"	menu	apps
	SEParATOR
}

The Exit menu item will not be affected, but the new item "Kill XWin"
will run "my_script" (assuming it is in your PATH), then kill XWin.

I haven't tested how XWin responds to kill, so you may want to
experiment with changing the signal, e.g. to "kill -HUP $PPID" in
order to get a clean exit.

If you want to know more about the .Xwinrc file, type "man XWinrc"
(case is significant).

HTH,

 Phil