Re: xterm

I have a similar problem with one of my laptops and never was able to get
it to work right.  I too got the same responses from the list.  I
uninstalled and reinstalled anything that was new/suspect to no avail.
After a while I learned that if I used run to start the app then it
worked.  Still don't know why and have no idea how to track this down
<insert windows bashing here>.  I guess if it happens to enough people
then a solution might be found.

example of output from an xterm session:

$ xhost +
/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display ""
/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display ""
/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display ""
/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display ""
/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display ""
/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display ""

examples:

run xhost +
run xcalc
run xeyes