Re: Fw: feedback on a configuration package for X11/ctwm|twm

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, John S. Urban wrote:

> I have had a good number of friends and associates ask for a copy of a
> directory that sets up and starts X11 with the ctwm or twm window
> manager for CygWin.  Enough so, that I put a copy of the directory into
> a uuencoded file at
>       cygstart http://home.comcast.net/~urbanjost/CYGWIN/index.html

This does sound interesting...

> [snip]
>
> There are a lot of other "goodies" in the configuration that bring
> often-overlooked cygwin/X11/ctwm|twm features
> to your fingertips, such as ...
> under the menus
>      left-mouse-->Other Window Managers -->
> are options to start almost all the "standard" window managers in new
> server instances independently or via Xnest.
>
> I was looking for feedback on whether this is of enough general interest
> that I should spiff it up and turn it into a CygWin "package".  I
> believe most of the menu items are self-explanatory; but they introduce
> people new (or not so new) to CygWin to how cygstart(1), dialog(1),
> XNest(1) and other utilities can be integrated with CygWin/X11 features
> too often overlooked to create a very complete user environment.

You should certainly feel free to propose a Cygwin package with your
modifications (as long as it does not overwrite existing configuration).
See <http://cygwin.com/setup.html> for instructions on packaging for
Cygwin.  Since you are already providing a web site with this information,
you can also add a setup configuration (setup.ini and directory structure)
to allow people to install and test your package directly off your site by
adding it as a mirror in Cygwin setup.

Another option is to try integrating it with the X-startup-scripts and
X-start-menu-icons packages, though I don't recall who maintains them, and
whether they are as maintainer-less as Cygwin/X itself.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Belief can be manipulated.  Only knowledge is dangerous.  -- Frank Herbert