Re: Looking for a way to start XWin -auth option without modifying startxwin.bat

On 3/7/07, Grant Mills <gmills@ucsd.edu> wrote:
On 3/7/07, Larry Hall (Cygwin X) <reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com> wrote:
> Grant Mills wrote:
> > Background:
> > Switched from Exceed yesterday.  Quickly realized that remote hosts
> > couldn't contact local x server.  xhost <remote_mach> solved that
> > problem.  Learned that if I shutdown the X server and restarted, xhost
> > settings didn't persist.
> >
> > Spent half a day researching and experimenting xauth.  My remote host
> > was failing with the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 error message.  Eventually, I
> > added "-auth ~/.Xauthority" to the command line that starts XWin.exe
> > in startxwin.bat.  That did the trick.
> >
> > Question:
> > My question is this... Is there a way to add "-auth ~/.Xauthority"
> > option to the startup of XWin.exe without modifying any of the
> > provided files?  Something like the ~/.cvsrc file.  I'd like to make
> > sure that the next time X-startup-scripts gets updated, I won't have
> > to remember what I modified and go back and do it again.
> >
> > I tried using ~/.xserverrc but I'd prefer to be able to use
> > startxwin.bat in my startup folder.
> >
> > I could submit a patch that would check for .Xauthority's existence
> > and add the option when detected.  If this is a suitable option, let
> > me know and I'll submit it.
>
> ~/.xserverrc sounds like a perfectly good spot to me.  It won't get changed
> out from under you in the next upgrade (whenever that is) like
> startxwin.bat.
>
> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746
>
> --

I'm not that thrilled about using ~/.xserverrc because it is meant to
start an alternate server from startx, not just provide extra options.

--
Grant Mills

Argh!!! Nevermind. I was certain that my XAUTHORITY environment variable was set. It wasn't. What a great way to waste half a day.

Sorry for the interruption.

--
Grant Mills