Re: ssh -x

Holger Krull wrote:
Marco Meoni schrieb:
hi, I'm new with cygwin. I've mainly installed it to connect to a
linux server running GUI applications. In fact, I've read that with
X11 forwarding (ssh -X) I can run remote applications and display
the GUI on my pc running cygwin.

Unfortunately I get errors like "can't open display". Does anybody
know what do I have to setup before? (i guess start X11 server on
my local pc)

Your guess is right. You have to start a local X11 server (startx). And set DISPLAY before you start ssh. Also remember that some applications need ssh -Y.

You also may need to use xhost to add the remote machine to the access control list on your local machine; for example, in your Cygwin shell:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost +<linux_machine_name>

Some applications also don't seem to work with ssh -X or
ssh -Y. For those apps, you may need to explicitly export
the remote machine display to your local machine; for
example, from your Linux box:

export DISPLAY=<cygwin_machine_name>:0.0

Scott

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ FAQ:
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/