New install copy/paste woes

Cygwin/X copy/paste woes

Yesterday I downloaded and installed Cywin:

      Dell XPS M1710
      Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600
      uname -a: CYGWIN_NT-5.1 mike-lap 1.5.22(0.156/4/2) 2006-11-13 17:01
                                                              i686 Cygwin
      X is started with cygwin/usr/X11R6/bin/startwin.bat

copy/paste between local and remote xterm windows doesn't work
copy/paste from remote xterm windows to local Windows apps (via clipboard)
    causes the

By "local xterm windows" I mean xterms started on the local (on my laptop)
cygwin system using the local display.

By "remote xterm windows" I mean xterms started by ssh'ing into a remote
system (AIX and Linux) with "ForwardX11 yes" in /etc/ssh_config, and
then starting an xterm session on that remote system.  The remote
xterm uses the local display.

Problems:

WORKS:

   select/paste between two local xterm windows
   select from xterm local xterm and paste into local Windows app
   select/copy from local windows app and paste into local xterm
   select/paste within a single remote xterm

DOESN'T WORK:

   select/paste (in either direction) betwen a local and remote xterm
      (nothing happens)
   select from remote xterm and paste into local windows app.  This
      clobbers the remote xterm!!!!  What happens: I highlight text
      in the remote xterm, click in the windows app, right click,
      click "Paste".  When I click "Paste" the remote xterm disappears,
      both from my display and from the windows task bar!

I've been successfully using the functionality I describe and
for a long time and the problems only began with new hardware & software.
On my old laptop (Thinkpad A31p) and an older version of Cygwin
(CYGWIN_NT-5.1 Dalea 1.5.8(0.112/4/2) 2004-03-16 00:19 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin) all of the "DOESN'T WORK" stuff above worked fine.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

-Mike