Re: failure notice

   I've been trying to get use an Xdmx server running on a Redhat box connected >to a Cygwin X server on a laptop as a client.
   It starts up and I see the root window, but the functionality is not there. For >example, if I drag a window off of the redhat box and onto the Cygwin box I can >see the dotted outline of the window appear but the content wont display.

So... you are using an Xdmx server with two backends, one of which is
on a Linux box, the other of which is on a Windows box? That really
sounds like you are running without Xinerama support? Without Xinerama
you can't move windows between screens. Try this
DISPLAY=DMXHOST:DMXNUM.0 xev & DISPLAY=DMXHOST:DMXNUM.1 xev &. If you
don't have Xinerama support you will get a xev window on each screen,
but you won't be able to move them between screens.

Did you try starting Xdmx with the +xinerama option on the command
line? This will enable Xinerama and allow you to move windows from one
screen to the other.

If +xinerama doesn't work, please post the complete command you are
using to launch Xdmx.

   Has anyone been using Xdmx and Cygwin together successfully and could you >advise me on configuration issues?
   Also if you know of any reason why this is not going to work please let me know.

It should work, but it will be a bit harder to configure than
identical Linux boxes.

Thank you for your time,
James Steven Supancic III