Re: SSH X11 forwarding issues

-Y is really what you want. Aside from that, anything useful from -vv? What about the server logs? And /tmp/Xwin.log? And what do you mean by "freezes"?

Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
Hi Sterling.

I checked the man page and -Y is just -X with less security:

-X Enables X11 forwarding. This can also be specified on a per-host basis in a configuration file. X11 forwarding should be enabled with caution. Users with the ability to bypass file permissions on the remote host (for the user's X authorization database) can access the local X11 display through the forwarded connection. An attacker may then be able to perform activities such as keystroke monitoring.

-Y Enables trusted X11 forwarding. Trusted X11 forwardings are not subjected to the X11 SECURITY extension controls.

Nevertheless, same problem - it freezes after I type in my password.

Other ideas?

- Phil

Sterling Baker wrote:
I believe the use of '-X' has been depreciated. Try using '-Y' instead.

Sterling

-----Original Message----- From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Philip H. Schlesinger Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 10:07 PM To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com Subject: SSH X11 forwarding issues

Hi all. I just upgraded my Cygwin to the latest version and found a rather interesting problem:

I can do the following command in the bash window with no problem:

ssh <username>@<server location>

it prompts me for my password and then takes me in from there.

--

However, if I:

startx
ssh -X <username>@server location>

It prompts me for my password and then hangs.

--

If I:

startxwin.bat
ssh -X <username>@server location>

same problem: It prompts me for my password and then hangs.

--

The only way I've successfully made a connection with X forwarding is:

startxwin.bat
Execute putty for windows with X11 forwarding enabled
Enter username and password
And I'm off and running...

Help?????

- Phil