Re: multimonitor on laptops if monitor added after X starts (canresize down, but not up)

Hey, Eric, great to hear you're using Cygwin... :-)

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Freudenthal, Eric wrote:

> I am so impressed with your fullscreen, multiplemonitors, and clipboard
> support.  Bravo!  Just one nagging nit:
>
> -multiplemonitors works great on my xp laptop (dell/intel chipset) if
> the additional display is added prior to Xwin starting.  I can even
> switch to single monitor and go back, with everything working.

Looks like the multiplemonitors code relies on GetSystemMetrics(), which
will only return information about the attached displays.  Attaching the
extra display afterwards probably generates a Windows message that the
code doesn't handle (it should probably redo the check when handling
display resolution changes, etc).  IOW, it's a design bug...

> However, if I start Xwin prior to adding an additional monitor, Xwin
> won't handle the increased number of rows/cols properly.
>
> Perhaps a fix would just require that I specify my max rows/cols at
> Xwin's startup (but how?).

For example,

XWin :0 -screen 0 2048 768

But this will likely screw up window positioning and offset computation if
you decide not to attach the other monitor.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/