Re: port existing x windows application to win32

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Nov 10 11:19, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Michel Bardiaux wrote:

So, I was right (rather than 'disregardable'). And that's from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Which brings back my query: is there a free but not GPL version of the X client libraries for Win32?

rofl

I have a better suggestion: since you don't understand any of the
issues involved, perhaps you have some fellow employee who can
understand the difference between cygwin's dll and libraries that
may be distributed with it.

I'm really wondering what you're up to.  Michel's choice of words might
be a bit unlucky, but it's a fact that his application will become GPL
(or another compatible OSS license of choice), if he links it to the
Cygwin/X client libs.  This is obviously not a result of the X libs
being GPLed, but a result of the fact that the Cygwin/X libs in turn
require to link against the cygwin1.dll, or in other words, linking
against Cygwin/X client libs will make the application a Cygwin
application.

So the question is still valid and was from the beginning, minus choice
of words.

However, this question is obviously off-topic for this list since this
is the Cygwin/X list, not a native Win32 X list.  So please move your
question to another, more appropriate forum, Michel.

The thread has largely moved to the question of whether the cygwin port of X client libs is GPL-viral or not, which would be more on-topic if there was not a specific cygwin list for licensing issues.

It has also become about whether I'm clueless, and I dont like to leave
such a topic unattended but experience on the net has told me that a
disdainful silence is often best :-). So, I'll follow your advice and
move on!

Maybe you could start here: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming

Thanks for the tip. However, reviewing the thread it seems to me that since I specified "free beer not mandatory", the RH buyout license might be a solution. So I will contact a local RH reseller.

Corinna

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director