Re: Basic question X - whatever

On 28.09.2005 18:04 UK Time, Soong, SylokeJ wrote:
With the clipboard enabled, do you know how to highlight, copy & paste

Nice subject line - I'm not really sure why I started this "Basic Question no." nonsense - it was bound to lead to confusion, sorry!

between win/xp and cygwin? I think that is his intent.

Microsoft(which you know):
copy is by selecting then ctrl-c or menu-copy.
paste is by ctrl-v or menu-paste.

Motif & cygwin:
Selecting text would spontaneously
(some people might prefer the term, automatically)
copy into clipboard.
Paste is by middle button click.

Thanks for explain this. It's embarrassing, but I wasn't aware of the different behaviour :-[

e.g. copying from MS to Cyg: copy text from MS win, move cursor to cyg window and press/release middle button. Conversely from cyg to MS: select text at cyg win, move mouse to MS win and ctrl-v. Voila!

However, if you don't have a middle mouse button, or you had mapped that
button to do something else, you could use -emulate3buttons option
which would require you to press both mouse buttons together to emulate
the middle button.

I do have the scroll wheel button assigned to double click, and I would like to keep that setting, which raises the question of where exactly I would have to specify -emulate3buttons (is it simply another command line option after startx?) and what you mean by "both mouse buttons" - do you mean left and right?

Thanks

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk