RE: Mouse scroll wheel acts as left arrow/right arrow.

On Thursday, September 01 at 01:35, Brian Keener wrote:
> I have a microsoft mouse with a scroll wheel that scrolls both up and
> down, and left/right.  The up/down scrolling action seems to act as
> left/right arrows.
>
> In firefox, using the scroll wheel goes back/forwards a page, for an
> example.
>
> Any idea what to do to fix this?
>
> Brian K

If this behaviour is consistent across all X applications, you could
try using xmodmap:

First, use xev to identify which button numbers are associated with the
up, down, left & right movements.  Let's say these are 4, 5, 6 & 7
respectively.  If you want the up "button" swapping with left, and
down swapping with right, you would enter:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

you can use xmodmap -pp to verify the change.  You should see
something like this:

$ xmodmap -pp
There are 7 pointer buttons defined.

    Physical        Button
     Button          Code
        1              1
        2              2
        3              3
        4              6
        5              7
        6              4
        7              5

I can't guarantee that this will work with XWin, but this technique
works for xorg on Linux, so it's likely to be OK.

HTH

Phil

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com