Re: high CPU load

Baksik, Frederick (NM75) wrote:
I just don't see this. I started X with WindowMaker and it sits at 0% until
I start moving window's around where it went up to 40%.

I'm using Release 6.8.2.0-4.

Perhaps you should post your startup script / process and what Cygwin
versions you have installed?

I think I found the problem. It's NaturallySpeaking 8.1. I upgraded this machine from NaturallySpeaking 6 to 8.1 after testing it on another machine (where I never use X). It's a very consistent. If I'm running NaturallySpeaking, X consumes 70% of the CPU. If I'm not, it's down around 0%

Frustrating, damned frustrating.

I expect it's not a fault of cygwin. It's probably something related to how NaturallySpeaking monitors keystrokes for "natural text"; their tool for speech enabling most applications. Unfortunately this tool has been horribly broken for almost 2 years and they haven't been willing or able to fix it.

I'll try some experiments to see if it's the same under XP as it is under 2k, if XP works, I'll shovel some money into the furnace of Redmond.

---eric