Re: more in insert and copy from clipboard

J. David Boyd david-at-adboyd.com |Lists| wrote:
Okay, thanks, I'll start hanging out on the Cygwin/Xfree location.

Makes sense, now I know where to start looking.

Actually, I was under the impression that these lists didn't like or
allow attachments.  It must be list dependent.

Man, that must be frustrating. Clipboard unreliability was the main reason I switched from XThinPro to cygwin's X server.

Last week (two, three weeks ago?) I would have used the mouse to
highlight the text in firefox (notepad, openoffice.org), then pressed
Ctl-Ins to copy it into the clipboard. (Or clicked on copy in the
menus, it worked either way.) Then I would have moved into my xterm,
and type 'wget ' and then pressed shift-ins, to paste from the
clipboard.  I hit enter, and wget worked perfect.

I can confirm that. That works here.

Helping you grab at straws:

You can see what is going on the with the windows clipboard run-time
with the clipboard viewer:
C:\WINNT\system32\clipbrd.exe
on my W2K. Is there any such thing in X, anybody?

A few additional test cases:

The middle mouse button is the scroll-wheel on my two-button+wheel mouse. emacs calls it "mouse-2", and hitting CTRL and then pressing that mouse-wheel-button, mouse-2, in an xterm gives me the "VT Options" menu. Now you know what button I mean.

* Same test case as before, put some text on the windows clipboard (check with clipboard viewer) and then press the mouse-2 button (no CTRL) in the xterm, that pastes the windows clipboard contents in the xterm, right? (Note, no keyboard for paste) Here: yes - pass

* Using the xterm, if you highlight something with the mouse (just
highlight - no keypresses) does that make it to the windows clipboard?
(As seen in the clipboard viewer?) Here: yes - pass

I only use xemacs, and never emacs, but while looking at this, I started
emacs. It complained about my start up files, some of which are
xemacs-only, so that doesn't surprise me. But I saw that selecting
something in emacs and then hitting ctrl-ins didn't put it into the
windows clipboard - your symptoms. However, starting emacs as "emacs -q" skipping the startup files altogether made emacs behave "right" with my
clipboard. Does emacs -q work for you? (X)Emacs also has its own
"kill-ring" which just complicates matters... xterms are simpler! :-D

And I don't think you've posted /tmp/XWin.log yet...

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www..........