RE: Using xauth with Cygwin-X

Here is a link to the Cygwin/X user's guide on Displaying Remote Clients.
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html

In the past I was messing X11 forwarding with a Sun box and xauth was kind
of a pain to use with telnet.

In cygwin type
xauth generate your_host:0 . trusted timeout 300
xauth nextract - your_host:0

On the remote station:
xauth nmerge -

Select the output from the cygwin command and copy it to the input of the
remote station.  Now the remote station can connect to the cygwin Xserver
for the next 5 minutes.  Also resetting the Cygwin Xserver will invalidate
any keys generated.

The biggest pain is that it doesn't always seem to work.  It seems sometimes
that cygwin will always reject the key.  Also, some programs will halt with
this kind of failure when starting (e.g. dtterm):
X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
  Atom id in failed request:  0xda
  Serial number of failed request:  1720
Others will crash while running, also with a "BadAtom" failure.

I didn't see these problems when using the xhost + method in the user's
guide.

YMMV

--
Frodak