can't get either emacs or xemacs to work with Xwin in XP

Hi there,

I've installed the latest cygwin with X11 and  the emacs, emacs-X11 and
Xemcas packages. I have a hard time getting either emacs or Xemacs to
work in X mode.

With emacs I get a frozen window and series of  "Xlib: sequence lost"
messages.

With xemacs I have
  Warning: XtRemoveGrab asked to remove a widget not on the list
  Warning: XtRemoveGrab asked to remove a widget not on the list
  Error: LTHashTableForEachItem: NULL hash table specified.

xterm and other X apps work fine and emacs works perfectly inside an
xterm or rxvt.

I've been through the faq's and the mailing list archives but I haven't
found a solution. I have a standard win XP installation with SP2.

Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong?

 thanks,

  Philippe