Re: read bug in Cygwin xterm window only

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:22:08PM +0200, Jason Curl wrote:

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 05:54:35PM -0700, Peter Farley wrote:

The following program demonstrates what looks to me
like a bug in the "read" function in an xterm (as
opposed to a Cygwin console window).  To run the test,
compile with:

gcc -g -o xtermbug.exe xtermbug.c

When you run it in a console window, you can enter
normal keyboard characters, then a return to see
"cmdline=<what you typed>".  Press the Esc key to exit
the program.

Unfortunately I'm seeing exactly the same problem too, and have so for some time. I've also noticed that a read() giving a particular length will ignore the length field and actually read more data in some cases.

Peter provided a test case which I used to diagnose a problem with
Cygwin.  I fixed the problem and released a new version of cygwin which
fixed the problem so it is unlikely that this is exactly the same
problem.

Please provide a simple test case which shows your specific problem.

And, also please provide the details mentioned at
http://cygwin.com/problems.html .

Sure - I'll start a new post for this as you mention it may be different. By the way, what version was it fixed in?

I just confirmed that I'm using cygwin 15-11 (rather old then I think) and the problem exists. I'm upgrading to 15-16 now, and will later test it with 15-17 when I have a better internet connection.

cgf