Re: startx hanging - startup problem located

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, martouf . wrote:

> I don't have ZoneAlarm.
>
> I get past the xkbcomp problem by disabling keyboard extensions, at
> which point 'cat' spins at >90% CPU on .Xauthority instead of 'sh'
> spinning on xkbcomp.

maybe /tmp mounted in textmode?

strace will show unlimited cycles of textmode/binmode tests then.

> I did not have this problem with an older cygwin.dll (see my earlier message).
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-03/msg00048.html
>
> Is the fork emulation not wait()ing properly?  'cat' seems to be
> defunct at the time it is spinning, and yet it consumes CPU.  trying
> to deliver SIGCHLD?  return value from exit()?

No. It does.

Check http://cvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/xc/programs/Xserver/os/utils.c?rev=1.15&view=auto
for the actual code (check Fopen and Fclose)

 bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de