Re: Process Explorer (was: startx hanging - startup problem located)

"martouf ." wrote:

> yes, bringing up the Threads tab on processes like 'xterm' and 'sh'
> causes a new thread "ntdll.dll!RtlConvertUiListToApiList+0xNNN" to be
> created.  It is simple to remedy this by killing the thread.  Having
> done so, CPU usage returns to normal and the Cygwin process becomes
> responsive again.

Right.  That's what I do as well when it happens.  I just wanted to make
sure that what you are seeing is not due to process explorer.  'cat' is
such a simple program that I'd be surprised if it is directly related to
the problem at hand.  It may be the symptom, but I'd be very surprised
if 'cat' itself was the problem.  The stack trace that process explorer
gives you is a bunch of Native APIs in NTDLL (most of which
undocumented) and as such is more or less useless.  If you build cat
with debugging symbols and attach to the hung process with gdb it would
give a much better idea.  Or try commenting out things in startx until
you can pin down the behavior that causes it.  Or run strace and see
what calls lead up to the hang.  But I've got to say, even though you
seem to have ruled out "firewall" issues, these sorts of hangs when
starting XWin are almost always due to some kind of third party software
the inserts itself into the winsock network stack in some fashion.

Brian