Corrupted overlapping pull-down menus

I'm seeing a problem with pull-down menus in one particular application: Visual Slickedit 8.0, running on Red Hat Linux 9.0.

When I click on an item in the menu bar, the menu displays fine. However, when I move the mouse over another menu item, it draws the new menu overlapping the previous one. In other words, it doesn't completely erase the previous menu.

You can see a screen shot here: http://tabi.org/badmenu.gif

In this screen shot, the mouse used to be over the menu item "Project", but then I moved it over "Build". The corrupted menu is a combination of the Project and Build pull-down menus. For instance, the text "Execute Makefile Target" belongs to the Build menu. But the text "Open Other Workspace" (the "Open" is hidden) belongs to the Project menu.

I do know that Slickedit is not like most other X apps, in that it manually draws all the menus, rather than using some high-level functions of X. I'm not an X programmer, so I'm not sure exactly what that means, but Slickedit is very portable, and so they've developed their own GUI library.

I don't know exactly what version of Cygwin I'm using (how can I tell?), but I downloaded and installed it last week, so I guess it's the most recent. I'm running it on Windows XP.

-- Timur Tabi Staff Software Engineer timur.tabi@ammasso.com