Re: 30+ reasons why X-Win32 is Better than Cygwin/X

I know nothing about X other than it is a good tool for some of the things that I do.

I do not know if the following is of interest or not.

When the codebase was changed from Xfree86 to Xorg, the Mac-on-Linux video driver
for Cygwin/X no longer worked.

I have been using X-Deep/32 for X usage when I need to access my Mac since.

I am not complaining, I love Cygwin and X other than this one nit.
I just didn't know if mentioning this might help.

Thanks for everything.

Ken

Joseph Miller wrote:

30+ Reasons Why X-Win32 is Better than Cygwin/X

# Features Cygwin/X X-Win32
1 3-D Hardware Acceleration for OpenGL No Yes
2 Graphical Configuration Tool No Yes
3 Professional Install Engine No InstallShield
4 Download & Installation Time 1-3 Hours 5-10 minutes
5 Stability Medium High
6 Display Number Setting Manual Automatic
7 Copy & Paste Text Text & Bitmaps
8 Per User Preference Savings No Yes
9 Multiple XDMCP Sessions Manual Automatic
10 Corporate Tech Support No Yes
11 Corporate Bug Fix Support No Yes
12 Passing of Display Number to SSH Client Manual Automatic
13 Integrated SSH Client with GUI No Yes
14 Multiple Window Mode Performance Slow Fast/Very Stable
15 GDI Acceleration of X Graphics Primitives No Yes
16 Graphical Keymap Editing Tool No Yes
17 Desktop Shortcut Feature No Yes
18 Session Organizing (by Folder) No Yes
19 RGB Editing Tools No Yes
20 Session Wizard No Yes
21 Selection of Which Errors to Log Command-Line GUI
22 Error Log Presentation Text File Only GUI and Text File
23 Compensation for Cable Modem NATs No Yes -- IPsmart
24 User Interface Language Support English Only 6 Languages
25 Size 45MB 19MB
26 Session Specific Window Modes No Yes
27 Last Session Terminate Support No Yes
28 Pre-Configured xterms for Linux, UNIX No Yes
29 Session Auto Start No Yes
30 Panning Support No Yes
31 Suport for Multiple Users (e.g. Terminal Services) No Yes

At under $200, and with so many Productivity-Enhancing Features,

X-Win32 is a Bargain !!!